Saturday, February 9, 2008

A Tribute to Myself


This is my favorite poem!(May differ slightly from the original version.) Enjoy!

I have to live with myself and so I want to be fit for myself to know

I want to be able as days go by always to look myself straight in the eye

I don’t want to wake up with the setting sun, and hate myself for the things I’ve done

I don’t want to keep on a closet shelf, a lot of secrets about myself

And fool myself as I come and go into thinking that no one else would know
The kind of woman I really am, I don’t want to hold myself in sham

I want to go out with my head erect, I want to deserve all men’s respect

But here in the struggle for fame and pelf I want to be able to like myself
I don’t want to look at myself and know that I’m blunt and bluff and empty show
I could never hide myself from me; I see what others may never see

I know what others may never know I have to live with myself and so

Whatever happens I want to be, self respecting and conscience free.
~Edgar A. Guest

1 comment:

Courtnie said...

wow! did you write that? okay well i love it; its probably the only poem in the world that can describe everyfeeling i can possible have...but its alll in one poem..something i could never do with my poems...hey, do me a favor? can u go to the Place of Grey Matter blog...thats mine and it has a bunch of my poems so far...i would like it greatly life u went there so that u can look at them and tell me if they are good or need some improvement...here is the url http://cpopsmarticles.blogspot.com