Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Some Q & A with Author A. Bolden-Thompson


What is your book about?

When Company Comes takes a provocative look at how we attract misery and end up becoming one of her guests.

Give us a brief summary of “When Company Comes.”

Narrated by eighteen-year-old Mattie Cordell, we embark on a journey back to her childhood where she absolutely adores two things, her father and her books. After her father loses his job, he makes some life-altering choices that profoundly affects his entire family. Desperate and unsure, he uses his home to entertain family and friends in an effort to take his mind off his misfortune. Misery makes her entrance on the heels of these guests who bring deep dark secrets to the table. As a result, Mattie’s world is affected and begins to unravel. She and Richard become estranged and end up on a trip down the rabbit hole where they find themselves eveloped in a sea of betrayal and scandal. At the height of the story, we experience what could be Mattie's breaking point. In the end, we discover that if misery loves company, then triumph deserves an audience.

Where did the idea for your book come from?

The book was actually inspired by a poem called “I Too Sing America” by Mr. Langston Hughes. It resonated with me as a child and remains one of my favorites.

Did you always want to be a writer?

No. I wanted to be an Actress and I wrote plays so that I could have something to perform. Turns out, I liked writing more than acting and the rest is history!

How do you go about writing a book?

My experience has taught me that it takes passion and discipline to write a book. I have to be dedicated and willing to “burn the midnight oil” sometimes.

What is the inspiration behind your writing?

My inspiration comes from poetry, plays, and life in general.

Do you have a favorite Author or Title?

No. But there are many whose work I admire and respect.

What are you working on now and when can we expect to read it?

I am currently working on something that hints at romance. I'll have to wait until it is done before I can know for sure. I don’t have a release date as of yet but I hope to be complete this spring!

No comments: